AGC of SD YOUTH APPRENTICESHIPS
The Build South Dakota AGC of SD Youth Apprenticeship program has been made possible by grant funding from the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation. This program allows expansion of the current Commercial Carpentry and Heavy Equipment Operator Apprenticeships to include students in their junior and senior years that are at least 16 years of age.
CONSTRUCTION CAREER PATHWAYS
This program has been built to enroll students into the AGC of SD Apprenticeships while being simultaneously enrolled in Dual Credit construction-related programs at South Dakota’s post-secondary educational institutions.
BUILDING A FUTURE WORKFORCE
Apprenticeships allow students under 18 to earn while they learn and give them a meaningful and rewarding experience as well as multiple career pathways into the construction industry.
- Students must be at least 16 years old and eligible to enroll in Dual Credit to apply for the program.
- Students must complete South Dakota Department of Labor’s intake process before admission to the program.
- Students will have the opportunity to apply and attain part-time employment with AGC of SD members who are willing to provide student apprentices guaranteed full-time employment with benefits and guaranteed wage increases upon graduation and successful completion of the program.
- If hired by an AGC of SD member, students will follow instruction developed by the AGC of SD and post-high school technical instructional staff as well as work part-time simultaneously.
- Students will have construction career pathways that include a choice of the following:
- Full-time employment upon high school graduation while continuing the AGC of SD apprenticeship
- Part-time employment upon high school graduation while simultaneously enrolled in the AGC of SD apprenticeship and a post-secondary construction program.
To participate in this program, students must be employed by an AGC of SD member and will earn an hourly wage agreed upon by the member and student. All on-the-job and associated curriculum hours will be documented by the AGC of SD as well as the South Dakota Department of Labor and entered into each individual’s Federal Apprenticeship record.
Students will have the opportunity to attend formal AGC of SD apprenticeship courses either in person or via distance learning while simultaneously enrolled in South Dakota Dual Credit courses in a construction related program.
- Participating students will experience:
- A positive and educational environment while on the job
- A designated mentor while on the job
- Company orientation and onboarding
- Monthly mentor check-Ins
- Enrollment in South Dakota Dual Credit courses. The AGC of SD will provide funding for up to six credits, books and materials not included.
PROGRAM SUPPORT FROM THE AGC OF SD
- Construction career pathway counseling
- Assistance with member introductions for prospective interviews
- Formal apprenticeship courses and guidance
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Contact Margaret Pennock at 605.336.9338 or firstname.lastname@example.org